Sunday, February 27, 2005

Obligatory Oscars predictions

As Hollywood prepares for its biggest show, everyone wants to throw his hat in the Oscars predictions ring. There’s no short supply of prognosticators from reviewers and regular movie buffs alike. But does it really mean anything to be able to predict the winners of Hollywood’s own game? Hardly. Even writers from the States don’t usually make a hundred percent correct guess. It seems many do it for its own sake, so there’s no harm if I did my own thing. Of course this is all just my opinioned guess.

PICTURE
Who wins: Million Dollar Baby
My choice: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Should have been nominated instead of Ray: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

(nominees)
"Million Dollar Baby" (Warner Brothers)
"The Aviator" (Miramax)
"Ray" (Universal Pictures)
"Sideways" (Fox Searchlight)
"Finding Neverland" (Miramax)

My friends call Ray the worst biopic in years, not to mention the worst best picture nom in years. I can only agree.

DIRECTOR
Who wins: Martin Scorsese, for “The Aviator”
My choice: Martin Scorsese, for “Raging Bull” (1980)
Should have been nominated: Michel Gondry for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Alejandro Amenabar for The Sea Inside

(nominees)
Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator"
Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby"
Taylor Hackford, "Ray"
Alexander Payne, "Sideways"
Mike Leigh, "Vera Drake"

ACTOR
Who wins: Jamie Foxx, for "Ray"
My choice: Leonardo DiCaprio for "The Aviator"

(nominees)
Don Cheadle, "Hotel Rwanda"
Johnny Depp, "Finding Neverland"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Aviator"
Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby"
Jamie Foxx, "Ray"

Leo deserves the win more than Foxx does, but Foxx wins for the moment.

ACTRESS
Who wins: Hilary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"
My choice: Imelda Staunton, "Vera Drake"

(nominees)
Annette Bening, "Being Julia"
Catalina Sandino Moreno, in "Maria Full of Grace"
Imelda Staunton, "Vera Drake"
Hilary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"
Kate Winslet, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Who wins: Thomas Haden Church, "Sideways"
My choice: Clive Owen, "Closer"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Who wins: Virginia Madsen, “Sideways”
My choice: Natalie Portman, "Closer"

ANIMATED FILM
Who wins: The Incredibles
This is a no-contest, no-brainer category.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Who wins: Sideways
My choice: Before Sunset

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Who wins: The Aviator
My choice: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

ART DIRECTION
Who wins: The Aviator
My choice: Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Who wins: A Very Long Engagement
My choice: either House of Flying Daggers, A Very Long Engagement, or The Passion of the Christ
Should have been nominated: Collateral

(nominees)
"The Aviator"
"House of Flying Daggers"
"The Passion of the Christ"
"The Phantom of the Opera"
"A Very Long Engagement"

COSTUME DESIGN
Who wins: The Aviator
My choice: The Aviator

DOCUMENTARY
Who wins: Super Size Me
My choice: Super Size Me
Surprise non-nomination: Fahrenheit 9/11

EDITING
Who wins: The Aviator
My choice: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Should have been nominated: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Surprise nomination: Collateral

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Who wins: Spain, "The Sea Inside"
My choice: Spain, "The Sea Inside"

MAKEUP
Who wins: The Passion of the Christ
My choice: The Passion of the Christ

ORIGINAL SCORE
Who wins: John Debney, "The Passion of the Christ"
My choice: Thomas Newman, "Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events"

ORIGINAL SONG
Who wins: "Learn To Be Lonely" from "The Phantom of the Opera"
My choice: "Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)" from "The Chorus (Les Choristes)"

SOUND EDITING
Who wins: Spider-Man 2
My choice: The Incredibles

SOUND MIXING
Who wins: The Polar Express
My choice: Ray

VISUAL EFFECTS
Who wins: Spider-Man 2
My choice: Spider-Man 2

Let's see how many I get right.

0 comments: